"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Old Arguments

This website and its associated comments, reinforce what I've mentioned time and again on this blog: the desi writers are just not doing enough to make a mark in the world in general, and the literary world in specific. The question becomes: what are we so afraid of, and why?

Although the article itself discusses the validity of MFA programs, the comments are fascinating reading and seem to echo so many of my own thoughts (and problems) with the current breed of desi writers.

There's the old argument of doing, again. Or lack thereof.

In the spirit of camaraderie, this is an article published by our very own desi writer in The News on Sunday. Shameless self-promotion, you ask? Absolutely. What else is this here for?

In other news, I seem to be having some trouble locating a suitable service provider to match my vision for DesiWritersLounge.net's upgraded version. I can only hope I locate one and try to release some beta form by December's end, although it doesn't look likely.

With so many changes planned, so much to rehash and revise, I wonder whether we'll have any time for e-zine editorial work. Or well, to be more specific, me. Of course, I can always reassign them to my minions, but then considering one's got a play coming up, another will be married by then, the other's got work and the last is a somewhat reluctant participant; things don't look particularly bright.

But December's still a while away yet. "We" should really stop worrying about it

No comments: