"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lightning...thunder! LIGHTNING.

Writer's block. You hear about it a lot, but the concept is a relatively new one, created like all new things by the American writers. Blocks weren't considered or even accepted by the English speaking world at large, until the Americans came along and decided to compartmentalize the world's woes. Don't believe me? Do your research. I did. What can I say? I'm curious.

But I jest - it traces its earliest roots to the Romantics - it seems a little "artistic" to justify a lag in creativity by suggesting that the artist is so talented and immensely chock full of ideas, that when something's wrong, it's presumably because something has happened stemming that flow. Does it exist or is it just an excuse? I think it's a bit of both, but I do believe with careful dedication and determination, you can push right through.

"Writer's block? What writer's block?" That kinda thing. I remember reading a quote somewhere about having to chase creativity with a club, instead of waiting for it to happen, which is a sound concept. You can't expect lightening to strike twice, after all. Or you can subscribe to the Romantic notion, and imagine it does.

But what about Edison's golden rule? Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration.

Although writing is part of the arts, in general, it does merit respect on its own. The wonderful thing about writers is that they're able to see art in everyday life. What separates us from the rest of the world, after all? One of the major things we're always asked is: where do you get your ideas from...I mean, that's just it isn't it? We don't wait for them to come to us, because how does that separate us from the people who write occasionally or the office worker who sits on his report for the next big thing, because the idea hasn't "come" to him yet?

I used to be among the lightning crowd, not realizing that writing, like its counterparts, requires discipline. Sit down each day and go after the idea, honing, refining, allowing it to bide its time, and you'll never suffer a writer's block. Your mind isn't blocked - it's a state of mind - if you want to think it, you'll want to believe it, because isn't it just so much easier to say you're "suffering" from writer's block instead of "I lack the drive to finish what I've started"?

And I find when I open my mind up to new and different ideas, they come with no hint of subsiding. As long as the wheels in your mind are turning, what else do you really need? And let's face it: the mind never stops working. If you're serious enough about your craft, you'll chase the words down, and they won't stop until you tell them to. Because writing is a lot about control - it's part of the reason why writers feel like gods in their worlds - they're in total control. What happens when you let it slide?

You get lazy, that's what.

No idea what's on the horizon next. As it is, I don't feel this was written quite as well as my other posts. Oh well...long day. Lame argument, I know.

No comments: