"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Awaken

People. They're all content with status quo - there is no longing to awaken. To do. To cause action, how can you be a writer without a cause?

In that vein, is Numb being written with a cause? Is there some social need driving it? My stories are worthless without a cause. They must exist for something, so to speak.

That characters (in N) are empty; almost soulless creatures. The purpose - the cause, if you will - is to bring forth the darkness in man. But it might not answer any questions, other than 'are we prepared to face the darkness in us' with the answer: 'no'. I believe the best we can do, is subjugate it, instead of really looking at it in the face.

A writer must write, after all, because he's got something to say and not the other way around.

The activist in me is back, just when I was wondering where she'd disappeared off to. But we all need our moments of reprieve, sometimes.

I need to move past this wordless state. I must.

No comments: