"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Amalgamating

Given, I don't know as much as I would like to about the recent E-Crimes Bill, the ones who are in the know, private officials of course, seem to think the bill is a violation against any citizen's basic right to privacy. What I've read about it, I can't help but concur. The Government's Big Brotherish tactics it seems, are gaining more publicity and recognition although whether or not anything will be done about it, remains to be seen.

After all, wasn't the Chief Justice reinstatement supposed to herald 'change'? They ruled favorably towards the hair transplanted (wigged?) Nawaz but They (the Other They - don't want to be too specific - might land me in jail, apparently) deported him off again. Some power! But then, that might just my personal cynicism towards the sense of law and order in this country. To quote Ars Technica: Law & Disorder.

Although one thing can be said about living in this constant state of political unrest: there are no shortage of subjects to write upon. Then of course, there's the Victorian Era we still live in in terms of marital proposals and societal propriety. "Modernity" might cling wrap, attach itself to the highest echelons of society, but still we can't escape our Victorian roots. Among our last colonial heritages, we should be proud.

True, this entry isn't strictly about writing, but I did mention it somewhere in there, so I think it qualifies. Things go slow on the site - we have our periods of slumps apparently, and there's only so much I can do alone - yes, I have other responsibilities, but I don't believe that they should hinder my role of caretaker of the site. If only others shared in that noble conception.

Can you feel the snark?

One parting remark, though note that it's wholly unrelated to any of the above: writers are supposed to be the loners of society, and I've seen several in my acquaintance circle who seem to embrace it all too naturally. Indeed, I was among them. But one thing needs to be made clear: we might think we can make it, but man's inherent nature isn't to be alone.

Food for thought.

No comments: