"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Policies, Reborn

Ahh...it's nice to see the site's header and color schemes here - it gives this place a touch of familiarity - it seems a little strange that I'm writing here instead of on the forums.

I mentioned the editorial policy yesterday, which I'm going to expound upon now. When we first brought out our e-zine in March 2007, there were some problems - formatting irregularities, how pieces were sent in, whether or not they were revised, and the entire brunt of the work aside from managing the site and the people within, seemed to fall on my shoulders. So going into the second issue, I knew something needed to be done about it.

Now, we have a little panel of people who effectively moderate the site and who've been there from its inception, so naturally the "policy" itself needed to be discussed in conjunction with them. End result being: editors (moderators) would work with the approved writers themselves to produce an edited version of what was up on the forums, which would only make it into the e-zine if it had been given the seal of approval by its assigned editor. All documents would then be sent to the assigned editor who would then forward them to me. Neat, huh? They would of course, need to stick to a preassigned format.

I must confess however, that although the process in itself is organized and an accomplishment, it doesn't take away from the disappointment I felt when I reviewed the edited work. Somehow I thought my editors would come up with something better. Most especially the prose pieces. The poems assigned were truly something - especially those I thought were lost forever - reborn. It was a nice turnaround.

Eventually I would like, although my moderators disagree on this, to turn this into a more professionally run amateur literary journal, which would include editors more suited for the task. People who understand that with each new issue, the bar is being raised higher. Quality was better this time around, but still not up to the bar of some of our pieces. I must confess: at this point, the original members are still miles higher than the newer posters, although improvement is a two-way street.

It can get frustrating sometimes - knowing there's so much potential out there - and yet, still not moving forward.

Somewhere down the line, I'd like to actually open up a physical Writer's Lounge with impromptu and planned readings, book signings, workshops and general literary awareness in the capital. Something of a budding theatrical society seems on its way to being canonized. It just seems like we're waking up, and it's a slow process of reawakening, like a snake shedding it's skin.

Now the problem is: do I have the patience to sit through the transformation?

No comments: