"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Budgeting Concerns

So I've stretched the budget, won't be enjoying the first three months of my pay, and have eliminated one key feature from the project at large. It happens, right? And besides, it's all for the greater good.

One of the great things about Joomla - an open source content management system (CMS) - is that you can add a host of things to it, later. Of course, I'm not entirely sure how I'd go about adding a gallery that would also merge with the forums, but hey! It's not terribly important to have it managed in such a way that it incorporates both, right? Maybe we should stick to its traditional method and lump it with the forums. After all, if we must have a gallery, that's where it should be. Alternatively, it could always be lumped in with the CMS, because once this is done, each component of the site will be meshed with the other and they'll all perform together.

The important thing is that the core features not be messed around with - the gallery was a last minute addition - if the podium, the bulletin board, the e-zine and the forums are all there, that makes for one great looking website. Not to mention, if they all work together. A true place to provide intellectual debates, creative discussions and writing. To put our vision out there - to give the upcoming desi literati a chance to really shine - that's all I want, really.

The chance to be involved in our book club discussion, keep abreast of all that's happening on the Lounge via newsletters etc. Really "step up to the mat" and hopefully "set the world on fire" with the podium, "unleash your creativity" with the bulletin board (or well, maybe not creativity as informational skills) and of course, "write, experiment and be heard" on the forums and e-zine. The gallery really doesn't fit into the grand scheme of things, does it?

Now all I can hope for is that my budget doesn't exceed itself too much - really I thought it'd all be covered in my mental estimate - and it's already doubled.

But it'd be worth it, that much I know and this...all this? It's a little thing I like to call: investing in your dreams.

I'll go out on a limb here, and ask what you think but don't expect me to get all weepy when you say nothing. I'm on the clock here, as it is.

No comments: