"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Stories No One Tells: Writers' PMS

Being a website administrator is hard work, because not only are you managing things upfront but everything that goes on behind the scenes falls under your domain, too. Being a forums administrator and a website/e-zine administrator; the dual job becomes managing both private with public to achieve just the right balance. Sometimes, it feels like I'm banging my head against the wall. Repeatedly, in an attempt to elicit a response. Sad, isn't it? :)

From negotiating with bidders, to negotiating the terrains of imagination and coming up with a decent idea of how to represent the concept of our site graphically, for an appropriate logo that defines who we are. Not just our web presence, but the very existence of the Desi Writers community. I've been thinking a lot about how we can boost our image, and discussing it over with my entrepreneur brother-in-law, I realized: we've only just begun. Something as vast as this needs to be propagated more from an offline perspective, which means more readings than just the one we're planning for March, more marketing outside, more awareness of who we are and what we do, so that the dream of getting our members published becomes an achievable reality, not a distant dream for the future of maybe's and someday's. I'm ambitious for this little project and every second we wait doing nothing or standing still, is, in my opinion, a waste of time.

A month was wasted with working with our web developer who was never ours, another few weeks wasted in trying to locate a replacement, until I realized I was a Computer Scientist, and would have to put that CSS knowledge I had amassed to good use. Again. Forgive me, if, besides being an administrator and editor, I wanted to take a break from being a developer, too. We can't afford to waste any more time. We need good content, an avidly contributing memberbase, and people who are as enthusiastic about their writing, their message and the community, as we are, and locating that niche will be harder than everything else combined.

But we must pursue this actively; we have to build an adequate presence both online and off, and get people to the site who can contribute to it effectively, otherwise it's all just noise, and most of the time, not even that. Just an overwhelming amount of silence.

They say, it's something of a phenomena actually, and I really didn't have any better example than this: every woman living in the same household for an extended period of time, begins sharing the same menstrual cycle. As in, they all PMS at about the same time, give or take a few days. I wonder, if we at the Desi Writers' Lounge don't all have a collective writer's PMS of sorts at the same time? What else can possibly explain the void when one of the bigwigs don't post?

So, if you're reading this and you've been a long time reader and writer but haven't joined the Lounge, write! We have big dreams...and trust me when I say, it's nice to be part of a community that dreams big and has every intention of accomplishing them.

Happy Eid, everyone! Early, I know...but I don't think I'll have a blog update on Eid day.

No comments: