"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Monday, November 19, 2007

Weekend Blues

I see Clarice has started to post...well, well! Welcome! Really, she's given me far too much credit, but I'm so taking what I can get.

Had a hectic weekend--those who live in Pakistan know this is full on wedding season--which apparently also means you go to weddings of people you barely know but work with. Hey! Society's the bitch we all love to hate.

Lahore was...blissfully calm. No riots, no nothing. But all that's political talk. Let's get on on to the real stuff.

Development progresses, albeit more slowly than I would care to admit. With e-zine publication slated for the first week of January, this is as mentioned below, going to be an excruciating two months. But, do vote...if you're a member and if you're not, my God! That's just tragic...after all this!

The template (our main design) is still on the rocks with the designer not quite clear on what I want despite showing him repeat versions of what goes where. That said, having talked it over with a cousin while in the City of Food, I've decided to revise our current Orange/Maroon color scheme primarily because they're both from the same family. (She's an artist. She ought to know). I should have some workable color schemes within a few days, however. Something like Maroon/Light Blue or Orange/Gray--that sorta thing. But we'll see how things turn out.

The Podium is still under construction, but we do have a ready made gallery which means our members will actually be able to see us! Yaay! Pictures of meetings and events and anything associated with or held under, the DesiWritersLounge.net banner. Speaking of which, although nothing has been made official yet, we're planning on a poetry reading sometime in March in Islamabad. Not quite clear on all the details, yet but we will in all likelihood host an invitation only event for members and those people our members know. I'm looking into options for printing bookmarks with our logo, color scheme and website URL on its front and back respectively. Kudos to my artist-cousin for giving me the heads up about this option, because after all, we want people to remember us and if you don't have some sort of remnant of the evening, our message is lost. So there's that in the works. We might have it covered as a podcast and/or video upload for members unable to attend.

In other news, we've got both the event calender/bulletin board still in the works although I've begun to think the Nov 29th deadline will no longer hold and for me at least, it'll be a mad scramble between work, editorship and working with the developer to prove value for money.

I think that about sums everything up.

And oh yes, I got a request from one of our new members to post on this blog...which I'll grant, so this will become something of a medley between viewpoints, random posts and weekly updates so: Keep your eyes glued to this space.

6 comments:

Khaver Siddiqi said...

Although I like DWL board, the updates here are very interesting as well. Good to know there will be activity here as well.

M. said...

I agree with khaver. i'll pop in soon:)

M. said...

oh and dw bookmark is awesome! we can look into the option of saeed book bank carrying them at their counter...

Khaver Siddiqi said...

There's a DW bookmark?

Unknown said...

The DW bookmarks mentioned in the entry, as part of our small marketing for the site. We'll be giving them at the end of the poetry reading, as a souvenir for people to take home.

Khaver Siddiqi said...

D'oh.