"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. " ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

Monday, February 25, 2008

The Best Laid Plans

I know I promised a server switch over the weekend in the forums, but I've been a little lazy. Also, I've been mulling over other potential would-be hosts and have decided to go with the original I had in mind. In any case, we will be moving away from our current one, soon. Just need to sit down one of these days, and make a copy of everything which is the one thing I'm really not looking forward to at all. At all, at all.

Also putting our website and forums out of business for a while is another thing I'm not looking forward to, especially when they're particularly alive and kicking right about now. So, things to consider. Meanwhile, of course, the e-zine just keeps being delayed and delayed doesn't it? Despite the best laid plans and the best of intentions, things don't always work out like they're supposed to.

However, that said, our host does seem to have recovered itself somewhat from its downturn episodes, and I might be able to whip up something soon. Incidentally, everything has been done, they're just a few things to be tweaked and then we'll be all ready.

Oooh...just realized March approaches, and the issue has to be up before March. There is one piece that might be slashed further. As the count currently stands, we've got 10 pieces that have made the cut, out of which only 1 has survived in its category. Won't give away too much, mustn't spoil the surprise after all. Removing another would bring the count to 9, which is by far, the least number of pieces that have ever been featured in our e-zine but, and this goes without saying, this is by far the best issue we've released. Primarily because there have been some checks in terms of quality control.

Unfortunately, because this issue also represented a deviation from the norm, I'm afraid it hasn't made me any friends! :) It's tough being editor-"in-chief" of this place. I have to say I like being just the writer a whole lot better. That said, I don't think anyone else could possibly realize the vision for this place better. Oh well!

One last decision to make and then it's home free...fingers crossed that our efforts will be appreciated--writers, editors, readers and critics--couldn't have done it without 'em!

No comments: